Friday, September 7, 2007

Czech This Mutha Out

Prague used to be the hidden jewel of Europe. I therefore had high expectations. I also was looking forward to spending 4 days with Alex in cheap Eastern Europe! I arrived two days before her, and found myself once again hanging out with a group of crazy Irish, and we all know what that means. Hang overs. Also had a cool dude from Melbourne named Zane, a shy fella from Rio named Jr, and a ROTC grunt from the states in our merry room out in the middle of no where. Prague, alas, is kind of a shit hole. There, I said it. It has amazing architecture, this is true, and it can be cheap, but it also is the most touristy place I've been in Europe, worse than Paris, Rome, London, and its so much smaller it doesn't hold all the gawking tourists well. The nice parts of the city seemed overwhelmed. Then once you exit the main city center, it turns ugly real fast. All this being said, we did have a good time there, my expectations were just too high. I spent the majority of my time defending Jr to the Irish who couldn't comprehend a traveller who didn't drink. I unfortunately started to feel ill, which started when I borrowed one of Jr's cigarettes, that's thanks for ya. I had had enough of the hostel scene by the time I moved into the wonderful apartment Alex had found on the Internet. I met her at the airport with roses and a sign. (unfortunately, the little old Czech lady I asked to video the surprise forgot to press the button!). It was so nice to see my girl again after a long month of tramping around Europe, and we popped a bottle of champagne to celebrate our third country. We wandered the back alleys of Prague, poked our head into art galleries, took a paddle boat down the river, and lounged in our great pad over the next 3 days. We also took a day trip out to a little town with a nice old chateau and wondered around the lush grounds and lake. I also had a good time watching Alex attempt to walk in high heels on the cobble stone streets, even though she's taller than me when she wears them! She laughed when I read her my sad attempt at poetry, which I will now share with you......An Ode to the Cornish Game Hen
Who Believes in a Cornish Game Hen?
I do.
What would the world be minus the little savory birds of lore?
Poo, through and through.
I search every glen.
I peruse every pen.
I watch every fen, for your cozy den.
A tear just dropped on my pen.....
Skeptics scoff at my desire
When I defend you, it's preach'n to the choir.
They laugh, I cry inside
When they said I had lied.
Admittedly, this poem is rubbish.
Words can never convey
What I need to say.
You sound so delish
and in fact, would make a fine dish,
served with red wine from the box.
I'm diseased, with CGH pox.
Perhaps you went way of the Dodo?
The mere thought is a low blow.
So we had a brief but wonderful rendezvous in Prague, but then had to say goodbye again, which seems to be what we do best. I miss her.