Sunday, August 19, 2007

So this kid took a piss

Brussels, the city with the manikin piss, the homage to a boy taking care of his business, what a concept. Turns out he was a boy scout as well. I spent two days in Brussels where I met a guy from Kansas of all places. Also checked out the Victor Hugo museum, one of his best buildings, then on to Ghent for a couple days, one on my favorite cities. The canals and church spires were very picturesque. This is where I met Bart, a kid from Rotterdam who dropped out of high school to deal drugs. He was there with his folks, and he told me he make 3 times his dad does per month in a week. He was a big fan of South Park and telling racist jokes, was kind of weird to be stuck in a dorm with him and his family. On to Antwerp for a day, then finished off visiting Bastogne, the area of the Battle of the Bulge in WWII. The beer and chocolate are hard to beat in Belgium. I really liked the Trappist beers, brewed by monks, so its got to have some beneficial side effects. At least that's my story. Belgium was a good starting point for venturing back into the world of backpacking. Layed back, lots to see and do, and really easy to get around.