Friday, August 3, 2007

Fancy an interrogation? Cup a tea? My ARSE!

That's right, the moment I set foot in Stansted airport I was whisked into detention straight away. Why? Why not? I had grown accustomed to the attention, and after being virtually ignored in Munich, it was about time someone showed some interest, I'm Ethan freakin Ahlberg for Pete's sake! This time, I filled out the same forms, got me thumb prints and mug shot taken, again, and was offered an American version of the pamphlet outlining my utter lack of rights by a sarcastic pom. Funny that! Next I got my bags searched. Then I got comfortable and enjoyed an entire film centered around the battle of Waterloo. The bloke playing Napoleon was well good. Finally, after about three hours, the questioning began. The gentleman across the desk from me was very serious and he made sure he had all the facts. We went through the story, and I showed him all my evidence proving how good a tourist I could be if just given the chance. Then he went to go call my dad. I waited, sat, waited some more, and after another hour, he came back. What I don't understand Ethan, is why do you want to come to the UK so bad? I mean your risking a lot, and obviously went to a lot of effort to get in this time, so I'm curious, there are a lot of great countries in Europe after all. I looked him dead in the eye, and spoke from the heart. This has been the best year of my life sir, and I had always dreamed of the grand finale being England. I have spoken with a lot of people over the last three weeks, and they all told me this would not be a big risk, and I really would like to see my dad, and go to Wimbledon with him, this seems like our best chance to ever do that. But mostly, I wanted to clear my name in all honesty, and I hope if I am let in this time, this can all be in the past. Somehow, it worked. I was given a month visa in the glorious UK. I was a free man! In a daze, I stumbled out through the gate, and there to surprise me was Alex, it was like that famous picture of the sailor returning home from WWII and kissing the first girl he saw. It was an out of body experience.