Thursday, January 11, 2007

South Island Road Trip

...................................................Left Queenstown a week ago. Drove down to Milford Sound, which is actually a fiord, and took the afternoon ferry ride in the midst of a torrential downpour. The waterfalls, how to describe the water? I'll let the pictures try to convey it, but it is just one of those things you have to experience yourself. It was like mother earth was weeping.
Headed south to Invercargle, met up with this dude from Pamplona there I had picked up hitching to Kaikoura a while back. He kicked my ass as chess, but said he could hook me up with accommodation if I ever made it to the running of the bulls.
Then drove down to the Bluff, south tip of the island to take the picture in front of the signpost. The drive from there to Dunedin was quite beautiful. The Catlin Coast is very rugged and rocky, kind of reminded me of Big Sur. Dunedin was a Scottish town with some cool churches, but I especially liked the graffiti. Met a crazy night warden at my hostel there. A sweet little old lady who had visions of the future and was a religious nut. She was convinced God had warned her of the future of western Australia as a nuclear waste dump. She also loved George Bush because he had defeated the anti-Christ (Saddam), and helped to protect Jerusalem for the return of the messiah. She was also big into sustainable energy innovations.
Finally got up to Christchurch yesterday, been hanging with Sanford. I have tomorrow to enjoy this city, this country, then off to Aus. For more pics click the link.