Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Nam

Vietnam is noise, people, and saying "no, thank you" every 3.4 seconds. Vietnam's people are in your face, but friendly, good sense of humor. Focused most of my time in Hanoi and the surrounding Ha Long Bay and Sapa in the mountains. Was very startled to have chilly weather in the North. Now wishing for it as I sweat it out in the South. I think my favorite moments have been 1) Having a little hill tribe girl tell me ,"No way, Jose!" when I made a ridiculous offer for a piece of jewelry. 2) Watching kids break dance in Lenin Square in front of the statue. 3) Kayaking into a secluded bay in Halong Bay. 4) Singing Karaoke on the Junk Boat till my ears were bleeding. 5) Seeing Ho Chi Mihn's embalmed body. Worse moments: 1) Having a rat run over my lap on the junk boat. 2) Feeling depressed after viewing the effects of Agent Orange at the War Museum. 3) Night Trains. 4) Almost getting scammed by the Taxi drivers from Hanoi Airport 5) Seeing Ho Chi Mihn's embalmed body. All in all, I do not regret my decision to squeeze in Vietnam. It has been fun, and maybe the most culturally different place I have been. I do welcome some peace and quiet that I hope to find in Cambodia.